MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES FOR BIPOC
- Racial Trauma/Race-Based Traumatic Stress
- Health Care Disparities Among BIPOC
- BIPOC Communities and COVID-19
- Black/African American Mental Health
- Latinx/Hispanic Mental Health
- Asian, Pacific Islander, and Desi American Mental Health
- Native and Indigenous Mental Health
- LGBTQIA+ Mental Health
SUPPORT FOR BIPOC IN THE GREATER HOUSTON AREA
- Texas Association of Black Psychologists: Psychologist Finder
- Houston Branch of NAACP
- Black Lives Matter Houston
- African American Health Coalition: Social Determinants of Health Blog
Other Helpful Resources:
- The Love Land Foundation: Crisis text Line – text HOME to 741741
- Melanin & Mental Health: Podcast & Resources!
- Mental Health Technology Transfer Center Network National American Indian and Alaska Native: Useful Mental Health Resources
BIPOC MENTAL HEALTH STATISTICS AND GENERAL INFORMATION
Please note that the statistics below are a brief overview of the prevalence of mental health conditions in special populations. For more details about prevalence, access and treatment issues, and beliefs/attitudes surrounding mental health, click on the underlined titles for more.
- Percent of African Americans with Mental Illness: 17% [Source]
- Number of African Americans with Mental Illness: 6.8 million
- Percent of Latinx/Hispanic Americans with Mental Illness: 15% [Source]
- Number of Latinx/Hispanic Americans with Mental Illness: 8.9 million
- Percent of Asian Americans with Mental Illness: 13% [Source]
- Number of Asian Americans with Mental Illness: 2.2 million
- Percent of Native Americans/Alaskan Natives with Mental Illness: 23% [Source]
- Number of Native Americans/Alaskan Natives with Mental Illness: 830,000
- Percent of people who identify as being two or more races with mental illness: 25% [Source]
- People who identity as being two or more races are most likely to report any mental illness within the past year than any other race/ethnic group.
- Percent of Individuals who Identify as LGBTQIA+ with Mental Illness: 37%
- Number of Individuals who Identify as LGBTQIA+ with Mental Illness: 3.9 million [Source]
Mental Health America released a report on LGBTQ+ mental health using data gathered from our online screening tools here.